Academic Inspection/Evaluation Copies
Kogan Page provides complimentary inspection copies to academics from accredited colleges or universities looking for teaching material. Terms and conditions apply.* In return, we ask that you complete a feedback form within 30 days of receiving your copy and notify your library, campus bookshop or purchasing department if your students will be using the book.
If you are based in the US or Canada, please visit our Academic Inspection and Desk Copies - North America page.
Ebook Copies: All lecturers globally can receive an unlimited number of ebook inspection copies (subject to our fair use policy**) accessible through the Kogan Page Bookshelf (powered by VitalSource).
Print Copies: If you are based in the UK, the Republic of Ireland, Austria, Benelux, Germany, Scandinavia (including Finland and Iceland) or Switzerland, then you can request up to 5 complimentary print copies per year. Your allocation will renew 1st September each year.
Please note that not all books available for inspection are available as print copies – print copies are limited to textbooks and professional titles that are likely to be adopted as core teaching material.
To ensure our inspection copy service is environmentally sustainable we ask that you request an ebook to assess the book’s suitability for your course and only request a print copy once you have decided to adopt and need a desk copy for teaching purposes.
How to Request an Inspection/Evaluation Copy
1. You must have an approved academic Kogan Page account to be able to request inspection copies. Register for an account and tick ‘Request an Academic Account’ near the bottom of the form. Your account will be approved in 1-3 working days.
2. Visit a product page and click the ‘Inspection Copy’ button beneath the book cover (you must be logged in to request inspection copies). Alternatively, you can request copies below:
3. Approved academic account holders will receive access to electronic inspection copy requests within 10 minutes. Thes can be accessed via your Kogan Page Account within the "My ebooks" tab. Print requests will take 1-2 working days to be approved, and you will be notified via an email to your academic email address. If published, your print copy will be delivered within 3-10 working days. Please note, inspection copies will not be accessible until after the stated publication day on the book's product page.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Are inspection copies, evaluation copies and desk copies the same thing?
A. No – inspection and evaluation copies are used when deciding to adopt a text for a course. A desk copy will be provided free of charge upon proven adoption.
Q. Is my inspection copy completely free of charge?
A. Yes – we offer inspection copies as a free service to verified academics who are teaching or preparing for classes with a minimum of 10 students and fill out our online feedback form after receiving their copy.
Q. How many copies can I order per year?
A. You can receive an unlimited number of electronic copies (subject to our Fair Use Policy**). If you are based in particular countries, then you also can request a limited number of print copies. Please read the Print copies section above to learn more.
Q. Are inspection copies available for every book?
A. No – only textbooks and selected professional books are available for inspection. Kogan Page publishes a wide range of content aimed at different audiences: we make inspection copies available of those titles we think are likely to be adopted as core texts or added to academic reading lists.
You’ll be able to request either a print or ebook copy where the print option is available; otherwise, you’ll only be able to request the ebook.
If you do not see the ‘Request Inspection Copy’ button on the product page, then the title is not available for inspection but you can buy a copy using your academic discount. If you believe that a book that isn’t available for inspection is highly likely to be adopted as a core text for your course, then you can send the full title and ISBN to [email protected] and we will consider the request as an exception.
Q. My inspection copy hasn’t arrived!
- We are unable to send inspection copies in either format before the date of publication. You will receive your copy within a few days of publication.
- If published, you will receive your electronic inspection copy the same day as requesting it. The email with access instructions will come from Kogan Page with a subject line of 'We have approved your Inspection Copy Request'. You may need to check your BULK/SPAM or JUNK mail folder.
- Your electronic inspection copy will also be accessible through your Kogan Page account within the "My ebooks" tab.
- For missing print copies, please leave 10 working days since your request was approved and check your university’s general mailroom before contacting us. If you are unable to locate your parcel, please contact us.
Q. Where can I get help with accessing my electronic inspection copy?
A. Kogan Page Bookshelf is powered by VitalSource. You can find answers to commonly asked questions about the VitalSource platform here: https://www.vitalsource.com/en-uk/faqs. Alternatively, you can email us at [email protected]
Q. How do I submit my feedback online?
A. Please contact us so we can send you a survey to complete.
Q. I've adopted a Kogan Page book. Can I get a print desk copy to teach from?
A. Yes – we provide print desk copies to lecturers who have adopted the book as a core textbook/primary reading for their course. Typically, this means you are suggesting that your students buy a copy or that your department/library buy multiple copies for student use. Please email us if you're adopting a textbook and would like a complimentary print copy.
If this isn’t the case and you're not adopting the book as a core textbook/primary reading, but you still want a print copy, then you can buy a copy using your academic discount.
*Terms and Conditions
Inspection/Evaluation copies are not available for every title. Kogan Page reserves the right to refuse a request for an inspection copy. You must teach 10 or more students in your course to qualify for a copy. Kogan Page reserves the right to change the format (print/ebook) you receive. When print inspection copies are available, Kogan Page only will ship to a verified college or university address. If online feedback is not provided within 30 days, then Kogan Page reserves the right to invoice you or deny further requests for inspection copies. By requesting a complimentary inspection copy, you are agreeing for Kogan Page to contact you to obtain feedback and confirmation that you will be using the book, to recommend similar titles and to provide additional information about our products.
**Fair Use Policy
We ask that you only use the inspection copy service for books that, based on the product descriptions and tables of contents, you genuinely think could be either useful recommended reading or a potential core text on your course. If your interest in the book is for personal use, then please buy a copy using the academic discount code we email you when we activate your academic account.