Want to start reading immediately? Get a FREE ebook with your print copy when you select the "bundle" option. T&Cs apply.
Organizing for the New Normal
Prepare Your Company for the Journey of Continuous Disruption
FREE UK and US delivery
About the book
We live in a world of continuous disruption. Before we have a chance to respond to one disruption, another hits. Before we finish one transformation journey, we need to embark on another. How do you prepare the organization for this new normal of continuous disruption? This is the challenge that every organization is now facing, no matter how successful their digital transformation of the past decade has been.
Organizing for the New Normal explores how to prepare the organization for this unique challenge. How do you develop a strategy for what is coming next while you are busily driving your current transformation? And how do you convince emotionally exhausted employees to join you on the journey? The book does not provide a ready-made recipe for success, but rather explores how to put together the ingredients that will improve the odds of success.
Organizing for the New Normal outlines the leadership competencies critical for success in the "new normal", such as:
· How to create a "permanent" sense of urgency and an organization-wide unease with the status quo
· How to convince people to exploit disruption as an opportunity when all they see around them are the negative consequences of disruption
· How to institutionalize into the DNA of the organization the day to day behaviors that would allow us to identify and respond to change early-and how to achieve this in a decentralized way
· How to develop a strategic response that is innovative and aims to attack the disruption rather than defend against it.
About the authors
Constantinos C. Markides is recognized as one of the world's foremost experts on strategy and innovation, based in London, UK. He is Professor of Strategy and Entrepreneurship and holds the Robert P Bauman Chair in Strategic Leadership at London Business School. An internationally acclaimed teacher and conference speaker, he is the author of seven books and has published articles in top journals such as the Strategic Management Journal, Harvard Business Review and MIT Sloan Management Review. He is currently the Program Director of his school's executive education course, entitled: "Exploiting Disruption in a Digital World."
- I cannot think of a more important time after the events of 2020 for this how-to book. I wish I had it a year ago. As leaders, we need to create and embrace cultures of being constantly 'unreasonable' to strategically enable disruption, and to avoid being disabled by known and unknown disruptions.
- David Meek, CEO, FerGene, Cambridge, Massachusetts